A Listen to this page
Home > Housing > Council tenants > Apply for a council house

Applying for a council house

We have joined together with North Kesteven District Council to help residents find a suitable council home within the central Lincolnshire area.   

Properties are offered to families or individuals with the greatest housing need first.

Apply for a council home

If you want to apply for housing in Lincoln or North Kesteven, you will need to either register with Lincshomefinder online or contact your local authority.

Priority for social housing is given to those with the greatest housing need. It is unlikely that we would be able to offer accommodation to those with little or no housing need.

Housing need is generally defined as those who are

  • Homeless / threatened with homelessness
  • Occupying accommodation that is too large or too small for the household
  • Living in accommodation which is unsuitable because of medical reasons
  • Living in unsatisfactory or unsanitary conditions
  • Needing to move to give or receive support or for employment reasons

If you do not fall into one of the above categories, we strongly advise that you do not register for Lincs Homefinder and that you seek alternative accommodation such as in the privately rented sector.

We receive an extremely high number of applications and the current processing time for applications is 8 weeks.

Apply for council housing

You can bid on properties if you meet the advertised criteria for that property within the deadline given. 

You can make a bid: 

  • Via the website www.lincshomefinder.co.uk 
  • By telephone
  • In person at any of the local authority’s reception areas
  • Through the assisted persons process 

You can read how properties are allocated in the Lincs Homefinder allocations policy on our allocations policy page.

If you think you are in danger or are about to become homeless please see our section on homelessness and what we can do to help. 

If you can't find what you're looking for visit our contact us page for a number of options which may help.