A Listen to this page
Home > Housing > Council tenants > Your home > Making changes to your home

Making changes to your home - overview

If you wish to make improvements or changes to your house, you must have a full secure tenancy and permission from us to begin work. 

You will need permission for the following types of work;  

  • Any addition or alteration to fixtures or fittings, such as replacing kitchen units, doors, bathroom suites
  • Any addition or alteration connected with providing services to your home, such as installing additional heating appliances or electrical fittings.
  • Erecting a garage, greenhouse or shed. for example, or carrying out any structural alteration to the property such as removing a wall
  • Constructing hardstanding/caravan parking or erecting a carport
  • Erecting a radio or television aerial or satellite dish
  • External decoration, provision of fencing