A Listen to this page


You may only be evicted once the council has obtained a court order for possession of your home.

It is advisable to seek independent legal advice from either a solicitor or the local Citizens Advice Bureau.

You should also discuss the matter with your Housing Officer.

The council or other registered social landlords generally have no obligation to re-house tenants who are evicted for non-payment of rent.

What happens if I am evicted?

The court will tell you the date and time that an Enforcement Agent/Bailiff will arrive to carry out the eviction in the presence of a housing officer. The locks to your home will be changed and any of your belongings that are left in the property will be removed to a place of safety for a short time.

If you are evicted you will have to find alternative accommodation for yourself and anyone else living with you. Assistance and advice may be offered from the council’s Housing Options Team. You can email housing.homeless@lincoln.gov.uk or call them on 01522 873212.

Can I stop the eviction?

The earlier you take action or get advice the better. It is better to make any agreement through the court as early as possible. You may apply for the Warrant of Execution to be suspended by the court, but the court may not agree to alter the original decision.