Why are we doing this?
National guidance is to encourage everybody to be active, every day. There is good scientific evidence that being physically active can help us lead healthier lives.
- Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of many chronic conditions such as coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, cancer, obesity, mental health problems and musculoskeletal conditions.
- It is recommended that everyone completes 150 minutes of exercise every week.
- Increasing your aerobic fitness can have short and long term benefits of your physical and psychological health. Even watching sport as a spectator can have a positive impact on your wellbeing!
- Diseases that could be prevented by more physical activity cost NHS England more than £900m in 2009/10 in treatment.
- Younger generations are obese at earlier ages than ever before and unfortunately staying obese for longer periods of time; overweight or obese children account for nearly a third of those aged 2 to 15
What are the plans?
We are proposing to develop the whole centre to create a new climbing facility, soft play area, spin studio, larger gym area, toning table’s studio and create a new foyer and café area. These plans are an illustration of what we’d like to do.