The Arboretum is owned and managed by the City of Lincoln Council. It is a park of grade II historic importance and was originally designed and laid out between 1870 and 1872 by Edward Milner, one of the most celebrated Victorian gardeners of his time. In 2003 £3 million worth of restoration work was carried out on the park to bring it back to its original beauty. The park has achieved green flag status. A green flag award is the benchmark of a quality park or green space. Not only does a green flag flying overhead guarantee a public space is welcoming, clean, well-maintained, safe and secure, it also ensures it is managed sustainably and pays attention to the conservation of the natural and built environment.
The Arboretum is situated on the south facing slopes to the south east of Lincoln Cathedral, within Abbey Ward. The site is bordered by Lindum Terrace and Sewell Road on the northern boundary and Monks Road to the south.
Facilities and features
The Arboretum contains:
- Beautiful gardens
- Lakes and bridges
- A maze
- Two fountain features
- Tarmac footpaths
- Tea room/cafe
- Children’s play area
- Victorian bandstand
The opening times of the Arboretum are 7am to 10pm, seven days a week.
The Arboretum Cafe
The cafe based in the Arboretum is a business ran independently of the council, for opening times, menus and information please contact the cafe direct.
Reporting problems with the park
To report a problem or make an enquiry about the park please use our online form.