A Listen to this page
Home > Your council > Elections and voting > Register to vote

Register to vote

The Register of Electors is a list of names and addresses of everyone in the City of Lincoln who is registered to vote. If you do not register then you cannot exercise your democratic right to vote. It is also much harder to obtain credit if you are not included on the register. 

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information and contact details, see www.lincoln.gov.uk/dmnotice

Register to vote

If you wish to register to vote or need to change your details on the Electoral Register, please go to  www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

To find out more about the changes go to www.gov.uk/yourvotematters.

Two versions of the register

There are two registers. Why? Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (previously known as the edited register).

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • Detecting crime (for example, fraud)
  • Calling people for Jury Service
  • Checking credit applications.

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Who can register

You must be:

  • over 16 (but you cannot vote until your 18th birthday).
  • a British or Commonwealth citizen.
  • a citizen of the Irish Republic or of another European Union state.

What happens if I’m a European Union citizen?

EU citizens (other than citizens of Britain or the Irish Republic) can only vote at local elections. If you are not a citizen of Britain, the Commonwealth or the Irish Republic you must complete a separate form to vote at European Parliamentary elections.

What happens if I’m not able to vote in person?

Anyone can now apply to vote by post. You can download a postal vote application form here. If you are blind or disabled or will be away from home during an election, you can apply for someone to vote for you. You can download a proxy vote application form here

You need to return the forms to;

Electoral Registration Officer, Electoral Services, City Hall, Beaumont Fee, Lincoln, LN1 1DD

Alternatively you can contact the Electoral Services team for further details and to be sent a absent vote form, by emailing electoral@lincoln.gov.uk or calling 01522 873374.

Your personal information

We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we are required to by law.

You can also read our privacy notice for more information.

How do I find out if my name appears on the electoral register?

Copies of the full register are available to inspect at City Hall, Beaumont Fee, Lincoln, LN1 1DD. Alternatively you may contact the Electoral Services team by calling 01522 873374 or emailing  electoral@lincoln.gov.uk.

Do I have to let you know if I move?

No, it’s completely up to you. However, if you don’t let us know you may not have a vote although the annual registration update is compulsory.

I have informed the Council Tax section that I have moved why can’t you update the electoral register as well?

We are sorry but the regulations state that you must register to vote separately.

What if I change my name?

A new application can be made in your new name at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote/ or alternatively you can take a photograph of the documentation (ie marriage certificate or dead poll) and send it to electoral@lincoln.gov.uk and the changes will be made.

Electoral Team

Tel: 01522 873374 or 01522 873439

Email:  electoral@lincoln.gov.uk

If you can't find what you're looking for visit our contact us page for a number of options which may help.