The following privacy statement applies only to applications made through our online benefits application system (known as Northgate eBens).
How we collect and use your information
Revenues and Benefits is a partnership of City of Lincoln Council and North Kesteven District Council. The Partners are what is known as 'Joint Controllers' of the information you provide and are each registered with the Information Commissioner's Office. The Partners take your privacy seriously and we will process your information:
- fairly, lawfully and inform you of how we do this
- keep your information accurate, with your assistance and rectify any inaccuracies
- retain your information only for as long as necessary (six years from the end of the claim or last action on the account in accordance with the Limitation Act 1980)
- store your information securely at a level appropriate for its sensitivity
- not share your personal information with third parties without your consent, unless they are processing this on our behalf, or because the law allows this
What information do we collect from you?
We collect and process the following data about you:
- The personal data that you provide whilst using the Revenues and Benefits website and our services
- Any information collected from you as part of our online registration/application process
- If you contact us, we will keep a record of that correspondence
- We may ask you to complete a customer satisfaction survey that we use for research purposes
How we will use your information
- The council uses your personal information for the purposes of administering and enforcing council tax under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and its associated regulations
- The council uses your personal information in order to administer its council tax support scheme under S13A and Schedule 1a of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and its associated Regulations
- The council uses your personal information in order to administer the Housing Benefit scheme under the Social Security Administration Act (SSAA) 1992 and Welfare Reform Act (WRA) 2012
- To process manual and electronically submitted Housing Benefit and Council Tax applications, appeals and other communication relating to service we provide and the above statutory functions
- We process your personal information on the legal basis that it is necessary to perform our public functions in accordance with the above laws and regulations
Who we share your personal information with?
The third parties we share your information with include where necessary passing your information and receiving information about you and your family as allowed by the law with the following:
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Pension Service
- Jobcentre Plus
- Private sector companies such as banks and organisations that may lend you money.
- Pension providers
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Valuation Office Agency
- Other departments within the council, other councils and government departments
This includes sharing sensitive personal information you provide about you and your family, for example regarding health. Where you provide information about your family we assume you have done so with their consent.
The council may also use the service of approved companies/organisations to check and process claims and applications.
We are also under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and we may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information and contact details, see www.lincoln.gov.uk/dmnotice
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes.
How can I access the personal information you hold about me?
You have the right to request access to your information, to request that it be rectified if incorrect, to object to or restrict its processing and to its erasure in certain circumstances.
If you want to know more about your rights relating to the personal information we hold about you or you have a complaint regarding the way we have handled your personal information and you are a Lincoln resident please contact the Data Protection Officer at City of Lincoln Council, City Hall, Beaumont Fee, LN1 1DD (email@example.com).
If you are a resident of North Kesteven please contact the Corporate Information Manager at North Kesteven District Council, District Council Offices, Kesteven Street, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 7EF (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you however you remain unhappy, then you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner at: - Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Telephone: 01625 545 700 www.ico.org.uk.