Benefits - Apply for benefits

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Before you start

You should use the benefits calculator to check whether you are in a Universal Credit Full Service area.

If you are in a full service area you will claim Universal Credit if:

  • you’re aged 18 or over
  • you’re under state pension credit age
  • you’re on a low income or unemployed
  • you have savings of less than £16,000
  • you’re not in full time education or training

You should make sure you have the following items ready:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Details of a bank, building society account into which your housing benefit will be paid (if privately renting)
  • Your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • Details of any savings and other capital
  • Details of all income (working and non-working)
  • Details of any other benefits you already get
  • If you have a partner you will also need their details and income
  • If you have any dependents, non-dependents, boarders or lodgers you will also need their details and income
  • If you currently pay for childcare you will also need your childcare provider's details, including their registration number. You may be able to find this on a letter from your childcare provider or by asking them to provide it for you
  • Your council tax account number, if you are pay for council tax
  • Your housing benefit reference number, if you have made a claim before

It should take between 20-40 minutes to complete your claim

Your claim is made up of sections. You need to complete all of the sections before you can submit your claim. If you can't finish your application then you can save it and come back to complete it within 14 days.

Start your claim >