Help with Housing
People struggling to pay should contact us as soon as possible to discuss payment options or see if they are eligible for discounts.
If someone is worried about how to pay housing costs, they should contact their landlord or mortgage lender as soon as possible. Our housing advice teams can offer impartial advice to tenants and landlords and help people at risk of homelessness.
Shelter advice and support services offer one-to-one, personalised help with housing issues and homelessness.
Call their emergency helpline on 0808 800 4444 Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm (Weekends and Bank Holidays 9am - 5pm).
Call the Shelter helpline if you:
- are homeless
- have nowhere to stay tonight
- are worried about losing your home in the next two months
- are at risk of harm or abuse
- Our helpline only gives advice on English housing law.
Or use the Shelter Webchat (Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm) if you:
- can't find what you need on our housing advice pages
- need help to take your next step
- don't want to call us or can't get through to the helpline
- Webchat only gives advice on English housing law.
This page was last updated 24 February 2023.