Building Control advice and guidance

Electrical safety

Technical standard of electrical installation work in dwellings (generally houses and flats) is subject to statutory requirements. With a few exceptions any electrical work undertaken in dwellings, which includes the addition of a new circuit, or involves work in a kitchen, bathroom or garden area must be notified to building control.

Electrical work comes under Part P of building regulation and applies to electrical work in:

  • Dwellings
  • Combined dwellings and business premises having a common supply (for example, shops)
  • Common access areas and shared facilities in blocks of flats (for example, laundry rooms, but not lifts).
  • Outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.
  • External situations associated with buildings (for example,  fixed lighting and pond pumps)

Notifiable work

Whether work is notifiable is dependent on the nature of the installation work proposed and its location within a dwelling. The location is important because some ‘special installations or locations’, such as kitchens and bathrooms, may pose a greater risk to people. Most jobs carried out by home owners on a DIY basis will be small jobs that do not need to be notified to building control, but they should still be checked by a competent electrician.

Therefore if you are considering carrying out electrical work to your property it is advised that you contact us to determine if you are going to be required to make an application for building regulation approval.

Compliance with Part P can be achieved via one of the following options:

  • Self-certification by the person carrying out the electrical installation. Please note: self-certification can only be given by a person who is registered with a government approved, competent persons scheme
  • Submitting a building regulation application to us for the fixed electrical work only