Building Control advice and guidance

Replacing windows

All owners replacing windows or external doors need to obtain consent from building control, any changes will have to fully meet the requirements of local building regulations. One of the main reasons for these requirements is the need to reduce energy loss. Even if you are replacing only one window or door with one bought from a local DIY centre you still need to follow the guidance below.

It is important that householders obtain the necessary consent as when the time comes to sell your property, your purchaser’s solicitor will make a specific check for evidence that any replacement glazing installed after the 1st April 2002 complies with the new building regulations.

There are two ways to prove compliance:

  • A certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered under the
  • A certificate from the local authority saying that the installation has approval under building regulations.

What do I have to do?

You have a choice, you can either:

Use an installer registered under the FENSA scheme run by the Glass and Glazing Federation, in which case you do not need to make a building regulations application us. Your installer should then ensure your windows comply fully with the regulations and will supply you with a certificate confirming this when the installation is complete. You can check an installer is registered by looking on the FENSA or Glass and Glazing Federation websites.


Where the installer is not registered under the FENSA scheme or the work is to be done as a DIY project you should make a building regulations application to us, and in most cases the simplest way of doing this will be to submit a Building Notice.

How much will it cost?

If you use a contractor registered under the FENSA scheme the cost should be built into the quotation for the works you are given. In all other cases we will make a charge for dealing with your Building Notice application based on the total cost of the work.

Listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas

Owners of listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas may not need to satisfy these requirements in all cases. However, it is still necessary to apply for consent through ourselves or the FENSA scheme.

Please remember that separate planning permission may be required for these works.