Building Control advice and guidance

The Party Wall Act

If you intend to carry out building work which involves one of the following categories:

  • Work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property
  • Building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary line between properties
  • Excavating within three or six metres of a neighbouring building(s) or structure(s) depending on the depth of the hole or foundations

You must find out whether that work falls within the Party Wall Act. If it does, you must notify all affected neighbours.

You should note that the provisions of the Party Wall Act 1996 are a private matter between yourself and your neighbour and in no way relate to a building regulation or planning application.

If you should require further information the Party Wall Act 1996 Explanatory Booklet can provide you with more in-depth information.