How to make a formal complaint
We are committed to providing good quality services to residents, visitors, organisations and community groups and want you to be completely satisfied. However, we know that sometimes things can go wrong. If this happens, please let us know and we’ll try to put things right.
If you wish to make a complaint, please let us try to resolve the issue first.
If you feel unable to make the complaint yourself please phone 01522 881 188
To make a complaint, complete the online complaint form or write to our Customer Services Team.
Before you start
- Please include a description of your complaint enclosing any copies of letters or notes made during personal visits or phone conversations etc.
- There are some things that we can’t deal with under our complaints procedure, but we will explain this to you and tell you about your rights when you contact us.
- If we require you to provide any additional information so we can deal with your complaint, investigation will be suspended and commence again once the information has been received.
Level One Complaints
If you wish to make a complaint you can do so in person, by phone, email, complaint form, letter or online form.
- We will try to resolve your complaint with you. Your complaint will be acknowledged and you may be contacted by phone
- A line manager will then respond fully in writing to you as soon as possible
- We respond to most complaints within three weeks
- If more time is required you will be kept informed as to when you can expect a response.
Level Two Complaints
If you feel your complaint is not resolved by the answer you receive you should contact us and:
- Provide us with the reasons you wish to escalate your complaint to a level two
- Enclose copies of any letters or notes made during visits or phone conversations with the Council
- If we need any additional information we will contact you.
- Your complaint will be acknowledged and a senior manager will look into your complaint again. They will write to you as soon as possible with their findings.
What to do if you’re still not satisfied
The council’s complaints procedure ends at level two.
If you are still not satisfied you can then contact the relevant Ombudsman service, who will look into the merits of your complaint and may also investigate how we dealt with it.
For General Complaints about the City of Lincoln Council
Contact the Local Government Ombudsman using the details provided to the right of this page. Or at the bottom of the page if you are using a mobile device.
Lincoln Tenants Complaining about a Landlord
For tenancy-related complaints by City of Lincoln tenants there are two routes you can take.
You can either:
1. Complain through the ‘Designated Person.' Current ‘Designated Persons’ are:
- The MP for Lincoln
- All City of Lincoln Council councillors
- The Designated Tenant’s Panel
A full list of council members is available at democratic.lincoln.gov.uk
2. If you want to complain directly to the Housing Ombudsman Service you must wait eight weeks after the City of Lincoln Council complaints procedure has ended at level two.
You can find their contact details to the right of the page. Or at the bottom of the page if you are using a mobile device.