About the premises licence

The Licensing Act 2003 combines six licensing regimes into a single system, covering the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment. Rather than applying for one or more of these individual  licences, businesses now apply for a single Premises Licence to authorise any number of these activities.

Who should apply for a premises licence?

You should apply for a premises licence if you intend to 

  • serve alcohol
  • serve hot food or drinks between the hours of 11pm and 5am

You’ll may also need a licence if you intend on providing entertainment in the form of:

  • plays
  • film/cinema
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • Indoor sporting events 
  • live/recorded music
  • Performance of dance 

Provisional statement

If your plans are not yet sufficiently advanced to apply for a Premises Licence, you may wish to apply for a Provisional Statement. This will allow you to assess whether you would be able to apply for a full Premises licence once your premises is complete. The application process is identical to the standard application process, however you must use the Provisional Statement Application Form instead of the usual application. The fee for this process is currently £315. Once the premises is completed, you will need to apply again for a full licence.

Registering interest in a premises

If you are a person having an interest in any premises, you may wish the Licensing Authority to notify you of any applications made in respect of those premises under the Licensing Act 2003. To do so, complete the Register Interest in Premises Form in the premises licence download section and return it to Licensing.

Alternatively you may request a form online or by contacting the Licensing team on the details below.

Contact the Licensing team