Landlord and Housing Benefits

Housing benefit advice for landlords

Tenants and Housing Benefit claims

As a landlord, you are important to us. We aim to work with you to ensure you receive payment of benefit promptly and that overpayments are minimised.

Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit that helps towards the cost of rent for 

  • People who live in certain types of Supported  or Temporary Accommodation
  • People who have reached State Pension Credit Age, and couples where both people have reached State Pension credit Age.

Those who do not fall into one of the above categories should apply for Universal Credit.

Who can claim

Anyone who has to pay rent for their home can claim. It does not matter whether their landlord is the council, a housing association or a private individual or company, they can still claim.

Boarders, lodgers and people in hostels and bed-and-breakfast accommodation can also claim.

We cannot pay Housing Benefit to a tenant who is living with a member of their immediate family and paying them rent.

When should the tenant claim

Your tenant should claim as soon as possible. If they delay in claiming they may lose benefit. We will need to see evidence to support their claim.

If they cannot provide us with the evidence we need at the time they make their claim, they should send the form back to us straight away and send the evidence later to avoid losing benefit.

What evidence must the tenant give when making a claim

We must see original documents, not copies, to support a claim for benefit. For the claimant and any partner we will need to see proof of identity, National Insurance number, income, capital, benefits and rent

If they cannot give us the evidence we need at the time they make their claim, we ask them to send the form to us straight away and send the evidence later. We can start to process a claim as soon as we get the form, but we will not be able to pay any benefit until we have all the evidence we need.

What can a tenant claim for?

If your letting is exempt from local housing allowance, for example housing associations and some lodgers and boarders, then Housing Benefit covers rent and some other charges in accommodation that includes services such as:

  • Entry phones
  • Lifts
  • Furnishings
  • Play areas
  • Gardens
  • Management costs
  • Cleaning of communal areas
  • Warden services

We cannot pay Housing Benefit for:

  • Heating
  • Hot water
  • Lighting
  • Cooking
  • Water rates
  • Meals (board)
  • Personal laundry
  • Personal cleaning

If the rent includes charges for any of these, we make a deduction from the rent for them.

Help for your tenant to pay a shortfall.

If you tenant is struggling to pay their rent to you, and already receive benefit, they may be eligible for a discretionary housing payment to help cover the shortfall.

Alternatively you can download the discretionary housing payment application form to give to your tenant to complete.

Once your tenant has completed the forms they should send them to: 

City of Lincoln & North Kesteven District Council Shared Services
Revenues & Benefits Office
PO Box 1257

Contact revenues and benefits team

Address: PO Box 1257



Telephone: 01522873355