Building Control applications

Do I need to apply for building control

You can make certain types of minor changes to your home without needing to notify building control or apply for building regulations approval.

You might need to get approval if you are planning any of the following types of work:

  • Replacement of existing window and door units
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
  • New or replacement air conditioning system
  • New or replacement Oil Tanks
  • New or replacement heating systems or boilers (regardless of fuel type)
  • New bathroom if additional plumbing is installed or existing plumbing changed
  • Additions or alterations to electrical installations around a bath or shower
  • New radiator installation
  • New or replacement fuse box and new or additional circuits

You will not need to get approval for any of the following types of work:

  • Most maintenance, repairs and replacements unless mentioned above
  • Additions to existing electrical circuits such as additional sockets or lighting points
  • Replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks in a like-for-like manner.

If you are not sure you should contact our team who will be able to guide you.

In many cases if you are using a tradesman within the Competent Person Scheme you will not need to notify us yourself as they should contact us on your behalf. 

To ensure you hire a tradesman within the Competent Person Scheme you can use:

View building control applications >