Suspected Gas Leaks
If you suspect you have a gas leak, you must report it immediately to National Grid in the first instance by calling 0800 111 999, you should then contact us on 01522 873333 or if you are calling out of hours 01522 534747.
There are a number of important steps to be taken if you smell gas:
- Do not operate any electrical sockets or lights. When lights are switched on it can generate sparks that could ignite the gas in the air
- Do not use matches or naked flames. Put out all cigarettes
- Open doors and windows to allow gas to disperse and keep them open until the leak has been stopped
- Check to see if anything has been left switched on (such as cooker ring), or if a pilot light has blown out
- Turn off the gas supply. The main gas on-off lever can be found next to your gas meter