Mutual Exchanges

What to do once you find an exchange partner

If you find an exchange partner there is a set procedure that must be followed. Each partner should write to his or her own landlord who will arrange for the relevant forms to be completed.

We can send you a copy of this form by post, please call 01522 873333 or contact us online. Your housing officer will visit you to confirm details and answer any questions. This visit will usually take place within 15 working days of receiving your application.

Before the forms are filled in, both tenants must inspect each other’s properties and agree to accept the tenancy with the dwelling in its current condition. We will carry out routine repairs in accordance with the tenancy agreement but it will be the incoming tenant’s responsibility to repair any damage caused by the previous tenant.

Any issues such as tenancy changes or responsibility for alterations or repairs must be sorted out before we agree the exchange. When all the paperwork for each partner is complete we and any other landlord will make our decisions.

We have 42 days to send a response whether to allow or refuse consent. Where both rent accounts are clear and there are no other breaches of tenancy conditions and the property is suitable for the incoming tenant an exchange can be approved quite quickly. If the exchange is agreed you will need to sign a deed of assignment, which is a legal document transferring the tenancies to each other, at City Hall before you move. You must not make any arrangements to move until you have received our written consent.

Since an exchange is an assignment of tenancies, you take on responsibility for your exchange partner’s tenancy, including:

  • Tenant’s alterations: alterations made by previous tenants to the property usually become your responsibility. Check there are no outstanding hire purchase agreements
  • Rent arrears: both tenants’ accounts must be clear
  • Condition of the property: we will only do repairs for which we are responsible. Decorations, damage from the previous tenant, and items or rubbish do not count

Your housing officer may inspect alterations in your property to make sure they are safe and in reasonable condition before the exchange is agreed.