Your Tenancy

Types of Council Tenancies - Equitable Tenancy

Sometimes we house people who are not yet 18. As a “minor” they cannot hold a standard tenancy but we need a type of tenancy agreement that can be enforced and which gives binding rights and responsibilities to the minor. An “equitable” tenancy is the way by which we do that. In most respects it’s the same as an introductory tenancy in that certain rights are restricted (see “Introductory tenancy” previous).

When the equitable tenant reaches 18 they will become an introductory tenant and then, after a further year, a full secure tenant as long as they have kept to the terms of their tenancy agreement.