Help getting rented accommodation
If you are eligible for assistance and a would like to go into private rented accommodation we may be able to help:
- If you can take on a property with a private landlord, we may be able to provide you with a deposit guarantee or an interest free loan
- We will guarantee the deposit amount to the private landlord on your behalf. The guarantee will only be for a maximum deposit equivalent to 5 weeks’ rent and is a “cashless bond”
- We will issue a deposit guarantee agreement to the landlord after receiving certain documents including an up to date gas certificate, an inventory, internal photographs of the property and a copy of the tenancy agreement. The deposit agreement is then signed by both landlord and tenants
- At the end of the tenancy, if any damage is caused to the property other than fair wear and tear, the landlord can claim against the guarantee up to the agreed amount, which you will have to pay back to the Council
- An Officer may visit the property or new photographs will be required as evidence in order for the landlords claim to be paid
- We can also loan you the rent or deposit in advance, this would be recharged to you and you can make an arrangement to pay this back
- Failure to pay any money advances may result in you not being housed in the future by the City of Lincoln Council
- We cannot act as a Guarantor for your rent and it is your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid and benefits applied for, if required.
- All homelessness prevention measures are subject to availability and suitability for each applicant and their individual circumstances
- You will need to contact our Homeless and Housing Advice Team to see if you will be applicable for this scheme.