A Listen to this page

Recovering your costs

If you have made improvements in your home at any time after 1st April 1994, you may be entitled to compensation when your tenancy ends. 

To apply for compensation you must:

  • Be able to prove that you got our permission to carry out the work
  • Have held a full secure tenancy in the property.

The following table shows the types of improvements that you may be able to claim money back for.  “Notional Life” means the number of years an improvement is expected to last.

ImprovementNotional Life
Bath or Shower12
Cavity wall insulation20
Double glazing or other window...20
Draught proofing of external doors or...8
Insulation of pipes, water tank or...10
Kitchen sink10
Loft insulation20
Rewiring or the provision of power and...15
Security measures (excluding burglar...10
Space or water heating12
Storage cupboard in bathroom or kitchen15
Thermostatic radiator valves7
Wash Hand Basin12
Work surfaces for food preparation10

How to apply

You will need to complete a compensation for improvement form and return it to us either;

  • within the last 28 days of your tenancy or 
  • within 14 days after your tenancy has ended

To apply you should download the form and send it back to us; City of Lincoln Council, Tenancy Support, City Hall, Beaumont Fee, Lincoln, LN1 1DE. 

How much you might receive

You may receive up to £3,000 for any one improvement, but you will not receive payment if the amount is less than £50.

To calculate the amount of compensation you are likely to receive, we use the following formula:

C * ((1-Y)/N)

C = Cost of work 

N = National Life 

Y = Number of complete years since the work was done

The amount you get may be less if the cost of the improvement was excessive or if the quality of the work is significantly higher than it would be had we have carried out the work to our usual standards.

The amount of compensation may also be reduced if the condition of the improvement is poor in relation to its age.

When will we tell you our decision?

We will send you a written decision within 21 days of receiving your completed application form, if you have given all the information we need to assess your claim.

If we accept your claim, we will inform you of the amount of compensation you will receive. You will receive payment within 28 days of the notification of the decision.

If your claim is refused, we will explain why.

You have the right to dispute this decision and you are free to seek information from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau or consult a solicitor.