Cost of Living Support

Financial Advice and Support

Support with Childcare Costs

We know that people across Lincolnshire are facing rising goods and energy prices, inflation and cost of living pressures. We know people are worried, so the government is offering help for households.

Over a million families in the UK are entitled to some form of government childcare support, but many are missing out because they aren't aware of available support or do not realise that they are eligible.

Your child may be eligible for funded childcare:

You may be able to save up to 20% of your childcare bill for children aged 0-11 (16 if disabled).

  • Tax Free Childcare supports working families, including the self-employed, with childcare costs.
  • If a working parent or carer is earning at least the National Minimum Wage for 16 hours a week on average and under £100,000 per annum.
  • You may be eligible to get £500 every three months (up to £2,000 a year per child) towards your childcare costs.
  • If your child has a disability, you may be eligible for £1,000 every three months (up to £4,000 a year per child).
  • To find out more visit Tax-Free Childcare - GOV.UK (

If you have any questions about accessing your early years entitlements in Lincoln, please contact the EYE team:

If you need help finding a childcare provider in your area, please visit: Childcare - Search Results | Lincolnshire FSD  or call 0800 195 1635


Benefits and Money Advice

We help provide confidential advice regarding your money, welfare, and benefits.  For further information please see the City of Lincoln Council Benefits and Money Advice pages.


Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offer free, impartial advice on debt, benefits, employment, and housing problems. They can help households make sure you're getting all the support they are entitled to.  Advice Line on freephone 0800 1448848 (Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm).

Help to Claim

If residents have lost their job or seen reduced hours, they might be eligible for Universal Credit. Many in-work households do not claim as they do not know what they are entitled to.

Help to Claim is a service to help people in the early stages of a Universal Credit claim. Support is available on freephone 0800 144 8444 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm).

Information on Universal Credit, advance payment, and the migration from 'legacy benefits' is available at

Lincolnshire Credit Union

Credit Unions help people save money and can offer affordable loans. They are an alternative to loan sharks and pay-day lenders and can help people avoid problem debt. or call them on 0330 004 0842.

NHS Prescriptions and Health Costs

Some people are eligible for free NHS prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and help with other NHS costs including transport to appointments. 


Social Tariffs

Switching provider or accessing discounted social tariffs can help households save money. Ofcom are raising awareness of social tariffs from broadband and phone packages and how people can access them. 

Anglian Water offer tariffs for low-income households with up to 50% discount on water and sewage charges.

Residents should call the Extra Care Team on 0800 232 1963 and see if they are able to switch tariff or find if there are other ways Anglian Water can help with bills. 

Turn 2 us

Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially.The Turn2us Grants Search can help you look for funds that might be able to give you a grant or other types of help.

Money Advice & Pensions Service

Government funded debt advice, budgeting tools and money advice is provided by the Money and Pensions Service.

Money Helper offers free, impartial help with money online, over the phone on 0800 138 7777 or on WhatsApp on 07701 342 744.


Debt Advice

You can access free, confidential, regulated debt advice through Step Change Debt Charity or call them on 0800 138 1111.

You could also contact National Debtline by webchat or call them on 0808 808 4000 (Monday to Friday 9am - 8pm and Saturday 9:30am - 1pm).

In Lincolnshire, Citizens Advice organisations deliver telephone and face-to-face debt support as part of national commission. This can be accessed locally through Debt helpline 0800 240 4420 (Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm).

Help for households

Countries around the world are facing rising goods and energy prices, inflation and cost of living pressures after the pandemic and matters such as the unrest in Ukraine.

We know people are worried so the government is offering help for households. See what cost of living support you could be eligible for on the Government help for households webpages


Help with your TV Licence

The Simple Payment Plan was created for those in financial difficulty.

Qualifying customers can choose from either a fortnightly or monthly payment plan that spreads the cost of a TV Licence over 12 months, this means you make smaller payments more frequently, helping you to better manage your finances.

TV Licensing accepts referrals to the Simple Payment Plan from not-for-profit organisations such as charities or your local authority money advice department. It cannot accept referrals from commercial organisations.

If you would like to speak to someone about your finances, you can contact your local authority debt advice team or there are many not-for-profit organisations offering free, confidential and independent advice. Any not-for-profit organisation providing this service can refer you to us to join the Simple Payment Plan. More information on the simple payment plan and how to access it can be found here.

There are other TV licence concessions, which you might be eligible for depending on your circumstances. There are concessions available for:

Page updated 18 September 2023