Discretionary Discount - Financial hardship/Exceptional Circumstances
The Council has the discretion to reduce or remit the Council Tax payable in respect of dwellings in its area, by:
(a) Persons whom the authority considers to be in financial need, or
(b) Persons in classes consisting of persons whom the authority consider to be, in general, in financial need.
When determining an application, the following factors will be considered:
- There must be evidence of financial hardship or unforeseen, exceptional circumstances to justify any reduction.
- All other eligible discounts must have been explored prior to the application being made.
- Whether the Council Tax Payer/s have access to other funds/assets that could be used to pay the Council Tax
- The historical payment record of the Council Tax Payer
- The Council must be satisfied that the amount outstanding must not be the result of wilful refusal to pay or culpable neglect.