Council Tax discounts

Exemption for care workers

Full exemption from the personal element (50 per cent) of your Council Tax bill is awarded if you are employed in the provision of care and/or support to another person or persons.

The person you are caring for must be receiving one of the following:

  • Higher rate attendance allowance
  • The highest rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  • An increase in constant attendance allowance under the industrial injuries or war pensions scheme
  • The highest rate of constant attendance allowance payable on top of full rate disablement benefit paid for an industrial injury 

And that you as the carer:

  • Are a resident in the same dwelling as the person you are caring for.
  • Are providing care for at least 35 hours a week
  • Are not the partner of the person being cared 
  • Are not the parent of the child you are caring for under the age of 18