Complying with the Law

Entry and refusal

Should the landlord need to visit the property, then they must give at least 24 hours’ notice, in writing, stating their intention to do so. This extends to any managing agent or contractor instructed by the landlord. If the property is an HMO, then the landlord does not need to give notice to visit common parts of the property, but must do so if they need to access any other areas. However, it is still best practice to inform the tenants of your intent to visit or to even provide a schedule visits if you are carrying out regular checks of fire detectors for example.

Even after providing proper notice, the tenant still has the right to legally refuse entry to the property, therefore, it is imperative that a landlord or representative does not enter the property without prior consent. Failure to do so can lead to action being brought against you for harassment.

There are times when the property needs to be entered as a matter of urgency. There are statutory bodies that can do this if the appropriate circumstance arises:

  • Gas – contact the Nation Grid emergency number
  • Water – contact the local water company should there be a flood or issue with the sewer
  • Police – contact when there are suspicious activities