Student Council Tax discount

To qualify for Council Tax student discount you should be one of the following;   

  • undertaking a full time course with at least 21 hours of study in term time per week attending 24 weeks a year at an educational establishment  

  • under the age of 20 and are studying for more than three months, at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard    

  • a student nurse on a course on any of parts one to six, or eight of the Nursing Register. You are not eligible for this discount if you are already on the Nursing Register whether you are studying or not
  • a student nurse studying on an academic courses at a university or you are on a Project 2000 course
  • If you are a Foreign Language Student you may be required to prove that you are registered as a foreign language assistant with the Central Bureau for Education Visits and Exchanges. 
  • You are not eligible if you are undertaking a correspondence course, evening class, or course taken in connection with your job, such as on day release.

How to apply

If you live in shared student housing, such as a House in Multiple Occupation, or student accommodation on campus your landlord will have already notified us of your details and you normally do not need to do anything further.

If you are a landlord

You should apply online using our Student Occupied Accommodation Notification Form.

Student status will be checked annually even if you (or your tenants) have not moved address.