Applying for benefits

Backdating your claim

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is normally awarded from the Monday after the day you made your claim. Sometimes we can pay benefit from an earlier date if you have a good reason for not claiming sooner.

When can you claim backdated benefit

Over Pension Credit Age

If you or your partner are over Pension Credit age and qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support (or both), we can backdate your benefit up to three months before the date you made your claim (as long as you were entitled to benefit for that period). If you over Pension Credit age and you are entitled to benefit from a date before you claimed, we will normally give you your benefit automatically and would not need to know why you did not claim sooner.

Working Age

If you are under Pension Credit age (working age) we may be able to backdate your benefit for a maximum of one month for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. However, you must be able to provide good reasons why you did not claim sooner.

How to apply

If you are completing an application form then there is a section for you to request backdated benefit, or you can make an application in writing - you must state which date you wish your backdate to be considered from, providing full reasons why you did not claim sooner, and with documentary evidence which you feel could support your request.

Send your letter to: Revenues and Benefits, PO Box 125, Lincoln, LN5 5PQ.

What happens after a claim has been made

After we have received your claim form we will aim to reply within 14 days. If we refuse your claim for backdating, we will send you details about why we have decided not to backdate your claim and of your appeal rights if you do not agree with our decision.