Applying for benefits

What evidence do I need

We can start to process your claim as soon as we get your form, but we will not be able to pay you any benefit until we have all the evidence we need.

We must see original documents, not copies, to support your claim for benefit. We will need to see documents to confirm the following things for you and your partner:

Proof of identity

  • Birth certificates    
  • Marriage certificates    
  • Medical card
  • Driving licence
  • UK residence permit
  • Current Home Office letter
  • EU identity card
  • Recent gas or electricity bill (within last three months)

We will need to see two of these documents for each person:

National Insurance number

  • National Insurance number card
  • Payslips
  • Letters from social security or Tax Office

Savings, investments and property

  • Bank, building society or Post Office books
  • Full bank statements
  • Certificates for premium bonds
  • National savings certificates
  • ISA’s
  • Stocks/Shares
  • Unit trusts

We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends you get on any savings and investments. The evidence you send must show details for at least the last two months.


  • Five weekly payslips or
  • Three fortnightly payslips or
  • Two four weekly payslips or
  • Two monthly payslips

You can give a wage certificate to your employer to fill in if you do not have these payslips.

If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading so far. You can complete our form if you do not have prepared accounts.

If you have no income we will accept:

  • A signed statement declaring you have no income
  • Bank statements
  • Proof of savings
  • Letters from friends, family and so on, if they are supporting you

Other income

  • Occupational/Work Pension from a former employer
  • Letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting and whether it is for you or your children 
  • Evidence of any money you get from people who pay you board and lodgings
  • Student loan/grant notification letters

Benefits, allowances, tax credits, pensions credits or pensions

  • Details of your Universal Credit Award
  • Current award notices for Working Tax and/or Child Tax credit
  • Letter from the Department of Work and Pensions confirming how much you get

Private rent and tenancy

  • Rent book
  • Rent receipts
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Letter from your landlord

If you do not have any of these documents then there is a rent proof page in the application form that your landlord can complete.

Other money paid out

  • Letters about student grants
  • Pension schemes
  • Receipts for child care costs

If you cannot provide us with the evidence we need at the time you make your claim, please send it to us or bring it in as soon as possible. The quicker you do this, the quicker we can assess your claim.