Applying for benefits

Get help paying your rent

Find out what rent we may be able to help you with, including some service charges.

What can you claim for

You can claim for rent paid to a private landlord, housing association, for a council home or paying Council Tax on your home.

Housing Benefit covers rent and some other charges in accommodation that includes services such as:

  • Entry phones
  • Lifts
  • Furnishings
  • Play areas
  • Gardens
  • Management costs
  • Cleaning of communal areas
  • Warden services

We cannot pay Housing Benefit for:

  • Heating
  • Hot water
  • Lighting
  • Cooking
  • Water rates
  • Meals (board)
  • Personal laundry
  • Personal cleaning

If the rent includes charges for any of these, we may make a deduction from the rent for them.