When you can receive a benefit on two properties
Unavoidable overlap while moving home
We can pay benefit for up to a maximum of four weeks on both homes in either of the following situations:
If you cannot move into your new home straight away:
- Because it is being adapted to meet the needs of a member of your family who is disabled
- You were waiting for Local Welfare Assistance and have reached state Pension Credit age or over or have a child under the age of six
- You are moving into your home from hospital
If you have had to move in to your new home before the period of notice on your old home has ended and this was unavoidable.
Fear of violence
We can pay benefit on two rented homes for up to a maximum of 52 weeks if you have left your home in the following situations:
- Through fear of violence in your home, for example from a family member or neighbour
- Through fear of violence outside your home by a former member of your family, for example an ex-partner or adult child
You must intend to return to your original home in both these situations. You should contact us to tell us about this change in your circumstances.
We can pay benefit on two homes if you or your partner is a student or on a training course and entitled to benefit and it is:
- Unavoidable that you need to have two homes
- Reasonable in the circumstances that benefit should be paid on two homes
There is no time limit on the payment, as long as we are satisfied that the occupation of two homes is unavoidable. You should tell us that you have two homes on your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support application form.
If we have housed your family in two separate properties because of the size of the family, we will treat you as occupying both properties as your home and we will pay benefit on both.
Both homes must have been provided, but not necessarily owned, by the council. If you find one or both of your properties through the private sector, benefit can be paid on only one home. You should tell us that you have two homes on your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support application form.