Collection of large or bulky items
We only provide a free collection for bulky items to residents if:
- A registered disabled person makes the request, and does not have an able bodied person living with them.
- Person making the request is eligible for state pension, is unable to move the item themselves, and does not have an able bodied person living with them
- Person making the request is suffering a temporary disability, and does not have an able bodied person living with them.
- Person making the request is pregnant, and does not have an able bodied person living with them.
- Person making request is in receipt of a means tested benefit (usually but not limited to Housing or Council tax benefit).
- Please note that Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits alone do not entitle you to this service.
If you are eligible book a collection
Please call 01522 873 423 where we will confirm the collection details with you.
When will we collect the item?
We collect items every Wednesday. You should allow for up to two weeks for collection, though normally we can collect sooner. You will be advised of when your collection will take place when you book.
How many items can be collected?
Three items can be collected at one time, and you can make one request in any three month period.
What can be collected?
Examples of items which can be collected:
- Any general household furniture, for example: chest of drawers, wardrobes, chairs, settees, beds, mattresses, carpets, tables, bookcases, shelves etc.
- Any electrical items, for example: washing machines, tumble dryers, cookers
Examples of items that cannot be collected;
- Paving slabs
- DIY items - doors, glass, baths, toilets, washbasins, windows
- Fridges, freezers, paint, gas cylinders, asbestos, wood
What to do if you are not eligible
Unfortunately we do not provide a collection to those who are not eligible, you might want to consider one of the following options:
You could take your items to the tip
You can take large and bulky items yourself to the Household Waste Site at Great Northern Terrace, there is no charge for disposal.
Or pay for a collection
If you cannot take the items yourself, you may wish to consider paying for a collection.
Call Biffa on 01522 533 488 for a no obligation quote. Alternatively, you can find the details of other waste collection companies in the phone book or online.
Disposing of your domestic fridge or freezer
We do not collect fridges and freezers for free, if you are able to transport your fridge or freezer to the Household Waste Site at Great Northern Terrace there is no charge for disposal.