Mutual Exchanges

What does this mean?

At the moment, due to government guidance, we are unable to approve all mutual exchanges. If you need to exchange for exceptional reasons then we will normally allow the exchange to go ahead if you are able to comply with the guidance. Please contact your housing officer for further advice and information

A mutual exchange is a process which allows council tenants to exchange homes. If you would like to move home, this may be quicker and easier than applying for a transfer. Most council tenants have the right to exchange a home with another tenant or housing provider. You must get permission from us and from the other tenants landlord before you move but we will not refuse your request unless we have a good reason to do so.

If you wish to advertise your mutual exchange, you can do so on