Planning Applications

Do I need planning permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called ‘Permitted Development Rights’.  

The Planning Portal Interactive House is a useful interactive guide to give you an idea of whether planning permission may be required for your proposal.

Common types of changes:

  • Extensions - including single and two storey extensions and conservatories
  • Outbuildings - any detached building within the direct area of the main dwelling (curtilage)
  • Porches

Whether or not you need to apply for planning permission for your work, there may be other kinds of approval you may also need. For instance you may wish to contact Building Control to see if Building Regulation approval is required.

Restrictions that may affect your property

Not all properties have the benefit of Permitted Development Rights. Some properties including flats, properties within Conservation Areas, Listed Buildings or those with Article 4 Directions may have had their Permitted Development Rights removed. 

You should check whether any of these apply to your property before applying for planning permission. 

Contact Planning

9am to 4.30pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. 10am to 4.30pm Wednesday. 9am to 4.00pm Friday.

Address: City of Lincoln Council
City Hall
Beaumont Fee

Telephone: 01522 873 474