Dangerous buildings and structures
We have an obligation under The Building Act 1984 to ensure that any dangerous buildings or structures within the city are removed or made safe. This may involve dealing with dangers such as loose slates, unstable walls, broken glazing and more unusually damage from explosion and storm damage.
- The legislation in the above Act is enforced by our Building Control team. It is therefore advised that if you think a building or structure is dangerous you should report it to the Building Control team where it will be dealt with immediately
- For buildings which are unsafe but do not present an imminent danger you may report the building of concern using our online form
- Should you require an officer to visit a building or structure that gives you cause for concern please call our Building Control office during normal working hours on 01522 873427
- Outside of normal working hours you should ring the LinCare Control Centre on 01522 544813 who in turn will contact the Building Control duty officer
- Once reported a Building Control Officer will visit the site to determine the extent of the danger and if any immediate action is required.