Privacy notices for services

Environmental Health privacy notice

To be able to serve you effectively City of Lincoln Council need to be able to collect, hold and use your personal data.

Environmental health

Environmental Health consists of the following services: Food Safety, Health and Safety, Private Sector Housing, Pollution Control and Contaminated Land.

How we must use your personal data

The City of Lincoln Council is what is known as a ‘data controller’ of the information you provide and are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Officer. They take your privacy seriously and must use your personal data:

  • fairly, lawfully and be open with you about how we use it    
  • for a particular purpose and we must not do anything with your data which is not compatible with this   
  • keep your data accurate and delete any inaccuracies without delay    
  • obtain from you only the data which is necessary   
  • keep your data only for as long as necessary   
  • store your data safely and securely

What personal data do we collect from you?

We collect and use your personal data for the purposes of logging, investigating and updating you about a complaint that you have made, about an accident that you may have had, about infectious disease investigations, for carrying out inspections or for providing advice and guidance. This is necessary in order for us to be able to fulfil our statutory obligations and responsibilities. This includes the use of data such as;

  • your name
  • your address
  • details of how your complaint affects you
  • Any vulnerabilities you may have
  • notes about any relevant circumstances that you have told us about
  • other occupants in your home

What legal reason do we have for using your data?

Categories   Legislation
  • Investigations of complaints        
  • Food premises hygiene
  • Food contamination
  • Workplace practices/conditions
  • Private sector housing conditions
  • Statutory nuisance and air pollution
  • Contaminated land
  • Environmental permitted installations



Food Safety Act 1990

Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013

Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974

Housing Act 2004

Public Health Act 1936

Environmental Protection Act 1990

Environment Act 1995

Clean Air Act 1993

Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016

Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) (England) Regulations 2015

  • Inspections
  • Food safety
  • Health and safety
  • Private sector housing
  • Environmental permitted installations
  • Contaminated Land Part 2A sites 

Food Safety Act 1990

Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013

Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974

Housing Act 2004Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996

Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002

Building Act 1984

Housing Act 1985

Environmental Protection Act 1990

Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016

  • Accident investigations
  • Health and safety matters of evident concern 

Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974

  • Pest infestations 
  • Accumulations of waste from commercial premises

Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949

  • Commercial buildings with defective drainage 

Public Health Act 1936

  • Smoking in a substantially enclosed spaces 
  • Smoking in a car containing an under 18 year old 

Health Act 2006

  • Infectious diseases
  • Public health funerals 

Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984

  • Advice and guidance on food, health and safety, pollution control, air quality, contaminated land 


How we use your data

To inform our decisions around investigations and inspections.

To update you of our actions

To request further information or evidence from you

To seek an update of the current issues

We do not share your information with the subject of your complaint without your expressed permission and only when it is crucial to the case. If you agree to provide a statement or attend court it is likely that your information and/or identity will be made available to the subject of the complaint. This will be discussed with you before the information is provided.

Additionally you may contact the Environmental Health team for support or information about safeguarding. In these circumstances it may be necessary for us to share details with safeguarding partners and/or the police to keep you or others safe.

How long do we keep your data?

In most cases we will keep your data for six years after which we will ensure it is securely disposed of. In some circumstances this period may differ.

Data retention schedules

Who will your personal data be shared with?

Your personal data will not be shared with others without your consent,unless they are processing this on our behalf, or because we are legally required to, for example for the prevention and detection of crime or for inclusion on public registers. It may be necessary in some cases for us to share your information with our partners to ensure that your case is dealt with in the most appropriate way.

Information may be shared with the Police Authority, Health and Safety Executive, neighbouring Local Authorities, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, the Coroner’s office, Environment Agency, HMRC, Immigration Service, Public Health England, Home Office, Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority Landlord Accreditation Schemes (with consent), Lincolnshire County Council building contractors.

Where information is shared, it is done in accordance with our Information Sharing Agreements and/or data protection exemptions, which ensures that your information is shared, stored and deleted in accordance with the legal requirements.  

How can you access your personal data?

You have the right to request access to your information, to request that it be rectified if incorrect, to restrict its processing and to its erasure in certain circumstances for example if we are no longer legally required to keep it. You also have a right to object to its processing when its use is not provided for by law for example to the processing of your email or telephone contact details.

If you want to know more about your rights relating to the personal data we hold about you or you have a complaint regarding the way we have handled your personal information please contact our Data Protection Officer.

If however you remain unhappy, then you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner.

Contact our Data Protection Officer

Address: Data Protection Officer
City Hall
Beaumont Fee

Contact the Information Commissioner

If you are unhappy about our decision and remain unhappy, then you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner.

Address: Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 0303 123 1113