Privacy notices for services

Tenancy Services privacy notice

To be able to serve you effectively City of Lincoln Council need to be able to collect, hold and use your personal data.

How we use your personal information

Tenancy Services provides the front-line housing management service to the tenants living in the housing stock owned by the City of Lincoln Council.

The City of Lincoln Council is what is known as the ‘controller’ of the data you provide and are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office.

We take your privacy seriously and laws state that we must use your personal data:

  • fairly, lawfully and be open with you about how we use it
  • for a particular purpose and we must not do anything with your data which is not compatible with this
  • keep your data accurate and delete any inaccuracies without delay
  • obtain from you only the data which is necessary
  • keep your data only for as long is necessary (six years from the end of your tenancy)
  • store your data safely and securely at a level appropriate for its sensitivity
  • not share your personal information with third parties without your consent, unless they are processing this on our behalf, or because we are legally required to or it is necessary for us to perform our statutory functions under relevant legislation, including the Housing Act 1985, the Housing Act 1996 and the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

Purposes of processing your personal data

We need to collect and process your personal data in order to:

  • administer and manage your tenancy and the property
  • enforce breaches of the tenancy agreement (for example, of clauses within the agreement relating to anti-social behaviour, harassment, untidy gardens and condition of homes)
  • provide estate management
  • facilitate resident involvement
  • provide tenancy advice (for example, about rents, mutual exchanges, transfers or general tenancy matters)
  • provide caretaking services
  • provide garden services

Categories of personal data and lawful basis

We may hold some or all of the following information about tenants, family members, household members and non-household members (for example, non-resident family members, visitors) who are associated with causing anti-social behaviour and other tenancy breaches and crime and disorder:

  • names and contact details
  • tenancy details
  • financial details
  • criminal convictions
  • health information – for example if a tenant has required accessibility adaptations/modifications to a property or requests the garden service

Under data protection legislation, processing of this information is allowed because we have a statutory duty to provide a housing service in respect of the functions mentioned above and others.

Some processing is also allowed because it is in the performance of a contract, or the individual has asked us to do something before entering into a contract or it is for reasons of substantial public interest.

Who might we share your personal information with?

We will share your information with other sections of City of Lincoln Council and the following third parties where necessary:

  • police and other partner agencies involved in the prevention, detection and prosecution of anti-social behaviour, crime and disorder and tenancy fraud
  • social services – for example, for safeguarding purposes
  • landlords, including private landlords and registered social landlords (but only with your consent)
  • other local authorities (but only with your consent)
  • support agencies (for example, Addaction, P3, Framework) - but only with your consent
  • general practitioners - but only with your consent

This will include the sharing of your personal data which is sensitive for example regarding you or your family's health, although only where you have provided this and it is necessary to perform our statutory functions, under the aforementioned pieces of legislation and others. Where you provide information about others such as your family we assume you have done so with their consent.

How can I access the personal information you hold about me?

You have the right to request access to your information, to request that it be rectified if incorrect, to object to or restrict its processing and to its erasure in certain circumstances. 

If you want to know more about your rights relating to the personal information we  hold about you or you have a complaint regarding the way we have handled your personal information please contact our Data Protection Officer using the contact details to the right of this page.

If however you remain unhappy, then you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner by visiting their website.

Contact our Data Protection Officer

Address: Data Protection Officer
City Hall
Beaumont Fee