Health and Safety

Where do we enforce health and safety?

We do not enforce health and safety at all workplaces. Both the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities such as the City of Lincoln Council enforce health and safety law. In general it is the main activity at a premises that determines the enforcing authority.

The council enforcement officers cover:

  • Retail premises

  • Warehouses (retail/wholesale chain)

  • Offices

  • Catering

  • Hotels and residential care homes

  • Consumer services in a shop

  • Leisure activities

  • Animal boarding etc

  • Child care in non-domestic premises

  • Places of worship

The HSE in general cover everything else, for example, factories, building sites, farms, fairgrounds, quarries, railways, hospitals, schools and colleges.

Health and environment enforcement policy

Download >