Single use plastic free Lincoln
On the 24th September 2019 the City of Lincoln approved the motion for the council to be a single use, plastic free council.
The motion sets out the council’s commitment to support the plastic free Lincoln campaign and to remove wherever possible single use plastics from all council premises. You can view the full copy of the motion on the downloads section.
Since the motion was passed the council have completed an audit of council premises and services to review the use of single use plastics and have prepared an action plan setting out how it will remove SUPs from its operations. You can view a copy of our audit and action plan in the downloads section.
Plastic Free Lincoln is part of a national campaign, Plastic Free Communities, organised by the environmental charity SAS – Surfers Against Sewage. The Plastic Free Lincoln campaign group are leading a campaign to achieve Plastic Fee community status for Lincoln. You can find out more about the group, local events and share tips on how to eliminate single use plastic from your life by viewing the Plastic Free Lincoln Facebook page.
What can you do to reduce single-use plastic?
- Remember your refillable water bottle – Did you know there are 49 venues in Lincoln where you can refill your water bottle for free
- Take a reusable coffee cup and refuse single-use take away cups
- Refuse single-use packaging – most supermarkets encourage customers to bring their own containers to the meat and deli counters.
- Resist a straw or buy a re-usable one
- Refuse a single-use plastic bag and take your own
- Take your own cutlery or use sustainable alternatives
- Avoid single-use plastics in the bathroom
- Refuse single-use condiment sachets
- If you visit a park or beach grab a handful of plastic pollution and recycle or dispose of it
- Get local milk in reusable glass bottles
- You can refill your plastic shampoo, washing up liquid, shower gel bottles at Greens Health Food shop in the centre of Lincoln